Thursday, August 18, 2011

How old is too old...

Listen, I know I am not getting any younger, 33 is right around the corner, but how old is too old to date? 

I have been on eharmony for a month, (two months left, thank god) and I just recently decided to up my age range.  It was set for 29-36, and now I set it up to 42.   So I logged on this morning and had about 14 matches --- all within the 40-42 range.  40?!?!?  What am I thinking?  I am just 32, ok almost 33 -- can I really possibly have anything in common with a 40 year old? 

For a long time I always thought that by 40 one would be married with children. Sadly, that goal is getting a tad bit harder for me to meet. But maybe I still expect others to be married with children by this age? Thinking back on it, my grandparents died very young - in their 50s and to me they were "old" when I was 5 years old. And I think that may have a lot with my opinion on age.

My next problem is why are there 14 single 40-42 men and none in the 33-36 range?  Is it that the 30 something males are still "living life" and it isn't until 40 that they are ready to settle down, when they realize they are half-way to 80 and still single?  Then should I be "living life" too?!?! Because sadly, I am not. I am ready to settle down now - at 32.  I want children by 35, not 45.

Age is just a number, I know I can say it --- but sadly, I do not believe it. A lot of events in our lives are based on age:
5 -  you start school
16 - driving permit
17 - LICENSE!!!
18 - legally an adult - fight for our country, still unable to buy alcohol
21 - finally, a legal drink.
40 - over the hill....

Which then brings me back to actually dating a man who is 40+...I am sure that once I get over the initial shock of age, I may discover that a 40+ man is Mr. Right for me.  Or I may discover, what I already believe, he is just too old for me!


2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Marcie...you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 is the new 20! Quite worrying about age and just worry about who the person is, as long as they are not closer to your dad's age then you. That is your basis!

    ReplyDelete