Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What is a teacher?

Currently,  teachers have come under fire.  We are over paid and under worked according to our biggest critics.  We take for granted all that we are given - our "Cadillac benefits" as our state's governor likes to call them.  We are compared to private sector workers, who scream and yell, "It's not fair."  And all of sudden, teachers are not respected individuals, but a mass of greedy, over paid loafers looking for a free ride. 

I must admit, I definitely felt the brunt of the attacks this year. I doubted everything I ever thought about myself - including my career choice.  Why didn't I know I was considered a public servant?  Why didn't I know I was so hated?  I mean after all, I made MY decision to major in education.  I went to college, studied and passed for 4 years.  I CHOSE my major, to reflect the career I WANTED.  And of all of sudden I am the target?  Do we all not choose to live the life we have imagined? (thank you, Henry David Thoreau!)  I went into teaching knowing what I was getting into.  Didn't those entering the private sector know the same thing?  I mean, they, too, had the same choice I had, right?  No, I may not pay a lot for my benefits...however, I think my salary compared to my counterpart in the private sector (with a BA degree, and 10 years of service) may be quite smaller.  This I know is true:  a transmission builder at a privately owned transmission shop makes quite a bit more than I...And I am starting to think that the garbage collectors (those who just drive a truck) in my town also may have a bigger salary...but yet I am to be hated? I could understand if we were to draw straws to "see" what career we would get how this could all be unfair - but because I  made a decision that you, too, had the choice to make...

But here is the thing - teachers don't enter this field because of money. I knew I would never be a millionaire (though trust me, there are days I wish I was!)   I teach because it is what I have wanted to do since I was 6.  I teach because I know that I can make a difference in people's lives --- in stranger's lives.  Not my children's life or my family's life --- but in complete and utter stranger's lives. I teach because I care. I teach because there is a sense of responsibility and pride that comes along with it. I teach because I know I can make a difference in a student's life- whether big or small.
I am about to start my 11th year of teaching and these are the facts:  I have taught over 1200 (1260 is my actual estimation) students in the past 11 years.  I have had 3 students die - JW, JR and MC - three male students (two from cancer, one in car accident) and think of each of them often.  I have 1student in jail for shooting and killing a person - who came to my English class during his lunch period to get extra help and notes before his afternoon English class.  I have had 2 students live in half-way houses because their own families have kicked them out and they have no where else to go. I have had 1 student, that I know of, who not only went to school, but worked to pay the rent for the apartment he and his family lived in. I have had many who have lost parents - some both parents.  I have written numerous letters of recommendation, and then wrote follow up letters when they did not get into their first choice. I have written 2 letters to judges as a "character witness" for two individuals who had trouble with the law.  I have several that I have stayed in contact with - whether I go and support them when they play a collegiate sport, or I go to pick up because a parent is battling cancer.  I have students whose parents are incarcerated.  I have students who after ten years still come up to me and say, "Hello, Miss C."  I have a student who works for the FBI, the White House and probably too many to count who work at McDonald's.  :)

Why do I teach?!?!?  You must be kidding me - why wouldn't I?  I have been privileged to walk into many of my students life and although I may not know the impact I have made on their life...I know for certain that all 1260 of them have made an impact on mine.  I love what I do and no amount of negativity will change that because as my favorite slam poet/teacher Taylor Mali says: "I make a god damn difference, what about you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment