Tuesday, August 16, 2011

South Carolina Road Trip

I have just returned from a little vacay in South Carolina.  Usually, I book my flight and enjoy the hour it takes for me to get there - but this year I tried something new - ROAD TRIP!  With a great friend for company, the 11+ hour drive was not as dreadful as I thought.  In fact, Sarah and I had many great "a-ha" moments - new career choices : professional mover specializing only in dorm rooms or our Saturday Night Live skit idea a ROAD TRIP with us.  We also discovered numerous amounts of wineries - the most being in NC - sadly, though we didn't get to stop at any. 

I have gone to Myrtle Beach since I was kid --- probably the earliest being 9 years old.  There is something about that place that just speaks to me  --- I know it is commercialized and cheesey - but I just love it there.  This visit I stayed with my roomie from college and one of my best friends, Jamie. 
Jamie and I at Stool Pigeons

Not only did I get to go to Myrtle Beach, I also visited Charleston for the very time.  I am pretty certain that I will return very soon!  From the moment we entered the city, I was in love!  Streets filled with little shops and restaurants - and some of the most beautiful architecture!


While out in Charleston, we ate lunch at Amen Street Bar and dinner at 39 Rue de Jean.  Both meals were great (and the cocktails, even better!). We stayed at the Meeting Street Inn --- what a wonderful place!


 We then took a drive out to the Firefly Vodka Distellery.  As a wine lover, I was hesitant - but sipping vodka was a lovel way to spend the afternoon.  The disterllery is located on the original grounds where Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka was developed - and is a small cabin like building - equipped with modernized out-houses!  The owners originally were interested in wine - and they still have a winery on the premises...sadly, it was some of the worst wine I have ever tasted! 


Once back to Myrtle Beach, I did the tourist shopping thing at Broadway at the Beach and discovered a great jewelry company, Pick Up Sticks.  As the post card states, "reversible photo jewelry"...I love different pieces and these charms were fun and funky.  Check out their website: http://shop.pickupsticks.net/ - can't order online, but there are some stores here in NJ which carries the line!

 All in all it was a great little vacay --- but now it is time to buckle down and think about school.  And you know what...it really is ok. I love September, school supplies, new students and new first day of school outfits! 








No comments:

Post a Comment